Thursday, September 18, 2014

Smallish blog post 1

I was able to understand and connect with the article: Five Things We Need to Know About Technological Change. For a long time, I have always felt like a walking computer science contradiction because I am in this technological field but I do not love all the technological advances and especially our reliance on technology. I do not feel that our society needs an "app for that" and it scares me how everything is becoming digitalized. It seems that heaps of this new technology intended to make our lives easier is only making everything far more complicated and we are losing the simple things in life, like walking outside to get the mail, reading a paper book, or meeting somebody on campus instead of on Tinder. This Neil Postman article hits this concept right on the head. Technology has advantages and disadvantages that will inevitably alter society. We see the world through screens and pixels which has become the norm. The question to consider is whether this norm is indeed an overall benefit to our nature as human beings. That question is one to think about and this article gave substantial evidence to stir our thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoy all the technological advances that we are experiencing but I do see your point and I agree with keeping the simple things in life around. There needs to be a balance, just like everything else in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is something to think about. I enjoyed the point on how we are losing the simple things in life. With this loss the benefits of technology could become our weakness. I feel so helpless during times where technology is not working, like during a power outage. Thank you for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I read your post, I thought about the movie Wall-E and how technology was depicted as hindering all human connection and interaction. Even though this is a very dystopian view of society, I do believe that to a certain extend technology can in some cases deprive humans of "the simple things in life". Nevertheless, I believe this usually happens because we misuse technology, not so much because the technology exists. Also, I believe that technology can be of great benefit to humanity as well, and can also connect us in ways the otherwise would not have been possible without them.

    ReplyDelete